Food for thought

Selling food has become a very popular and efficient way, this year, to raise money for different causes throughout the school.  Donuts are sold, a Coffee Shop is held, and smoothies are ordered.  However, many students don’t know what these fundraisers are for and are a bit unconvinced at the time the fundraisers take place.  Nevertheless, these fundraisers are very effective in raising money.

Every Wednesday morning, donuts are sold in the main hallway.  The money raised from donut sales go to student activities like the End of Year Carnival. Resource teacher, Kelley Hines, is the adviser for this fundraiser.

“A lot of people buy the donuts and it’s pretty easy because it’s cheap and in the main hallway,” said sophomore Nick Chipouras.

On A-Day Friday mornings, the newspaper staff runs a coffee shop in the publications room.  The staff sells coffee, donuts, breakfast food, hot and cold drinks.  Music is also played by a variety of students.  The money helps pay for the print edition of the school newspaper.

“It’s fun for the kids and raises some money.  People should come to the coffee shop to support the newspaper, socialize, get some coffee, and chill,” said Tammy Pyle, the newspaper advisor.

Time is an issue for these two fundraisers.  Since they take place in the morning, some students’ buses don’t arrive in time for them to buy donuts or go to the coffee shop.

“It’s a good idea to sell donuts because I see a lot of people with them.  I would go to the coffee shop, I just need to leave [home] earlier,” said junior Ashley Cole.

However, the Tropical Smoothie fundraiser takes place during school, at lunch, rather than in the morning.  Students can bring in three dollars for a smoothie and give it to Mrs. Spicer anytime Monday through Wednesday.  On Thursday at lunch, Tropical Smoothie delivers the smoothies to the school and students can pick up their orders.  The flavors change every month.  The new flavors for October are Kiwi Quencher and Jetty Punch.  Tropical Thursdays is a fundraiser to support the Junior Class, this money goes to fund prom.

“The fundraiser is effective because people go to Tropical Smoothie all the time and now they can get it at school,” said Gaby Santiago, the junior class president.

63% of students around the school said they would rather buy food as a way to raise money for school-related causes than go to an event that raised money.