Coffee Shop Canceled

Coffee Shop Canceled

Written by Karmen Alexander and Nancy Etro, Photography and Layout Editors

It’s an A day Friday; the students are excited. The week is almost over and coffee and donuts are being sold in room 601. But, as the students of Woodgrove High School look around for yummy donuts and hot coffee, they will be tragically disappointed this year.

During the 2014-2015 school year, both federal and Loudoun County guidelines were introduced which would challenge coffee shop.

Federal guidelines regarding healthy food initiatives mandate that food or drink sold during school hours have to meet standard nutritional values. The money from the sale of food or drink must go to the school nutrition program account. The meals have to contain 5% of the Daily Value per serving or per 100 calories. Snack items must be less than 200 calories, contain less than 250 mg of sugar, and contain less than 35% of fat from calories.

County guidelines ban the sale of food or drink outside of the cafeteria unless it was guaranteed to be consumed 30 minutes after dismissal. Any food items sold within school hours were considered to be in competition with the cafeteria, which had to show a profit from the sale of food.

Of course, coffee and donuts do not fit these guidelines.

This greatly impacted newspaper, which sold donuts and coffee every other Friday and used all of the proceeds to pay for the publication of the quarterly paper.

The bi-weekly coffee shop was popular among students and generated a good profit of about $150 each coffee shop. With ten to 12 coffee shops each year the average profit was around $1,650, which helped cover the cost of printing the newspaper.

Sophomore Madison Erb thinks that coffee shop “was great source of revenue.” She said, “I have volleyball practice in the morning before school, and I was always looking forward to coffee shop to help me get through the day.”

When told about the lack of coffee shop and sale of donuts, students were upset.

“We need donuts!” said junior Katie Brantingham.

Senior Kyle Edmonston said, “Although I never ate the donuts, I still think newspaper should be able to sell them. Clubs need money and it’s good for the students to learn business skills.”

The new guidelines don’t just affect newspaper, but also band, the debate team, and others who rely on fundraising for their programs.

Band director Mr. Strickler said, “I have no idea how we’re going to make up for the loss of profits. We’re going to try and sell some greenery this year, but it’s not as good.”

Strickler understands what the guidelines are trying to do but wishes that “the guidelines would do more to help rather than hurt.” He continued, “They’re thinking with the best interests in mind and trying to stop childhood obesity, but it’s not going to stop people from eating candy bars.”