The Woodgrove Outlander

Student Tips for a Happier, and Stress-Free School Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mia Cammarota and Carissa Vergeres struggling to manage their extracurricular activities.

Photo by Emma Tetreault

Photo by Emma Tetreault

Photo by Emma Tetreault

Written by Emma Tetreault

Hours can vanish before you’re even aware they’ve passed. Time management is one of the top struggles that people of all ages face, more so, teens and young adults. It takes time to build your own schedules and routines, so it can become a struggle trying to find out what strategies work for you in the meantime.

High school and college students have the busiest schedules, involving working hours, extracurricular activities, hobbies, family time, schoolwork, and a balanced number of hours of sleep. The day can seem as if it’s flowing by smoothly until at one point there is so much stress suddenly filling the last remaining hours. The clock ticks by feeling as if it’s fast-forwarding time, and each new task feels like an undesirable chore.

There’s a huge change of students’ schedules going from middle school to high school. Most students aren’t prepared for the add-on of long dreaded hours of homework in the evening. Eighth grader at Harmony Middle School, Brandon Tetreault, describes his schedule as, “I only spend around 30 minutes each day after school doing my homework, and use the rest of the day to do other hobbies.”

Sophomore at Woodgrove High School, Kristina Ayers, states “I do homework after school about 4 hours each night, but no more than that. But, study hall is definitely a wise use of time to get my work done.”

There is a dramatic difference between the schedule of a student in middle school and high school. It takes a lot of adjusting to go from half an hour of homework each night to almost quadrupling that time in a one-year transition. All students learn differently and work most efficiently in varying environments. There are constantly students searching for tips and ways to make their daily schedule run smoothly. Getting caught up in numerous tasks is a common occurrence when it comes to organizing daily deeds.

Work Smarter, Not Harder: 21 Time Management Tips to Hack Productivity, by Jordan Bates, provides advice on how to use your time in a wiser manner. Bates advises, “Don’t think of the totality of your to-do list. One of the fastest ways to overwhelm yourself is to think about your massive to-do list. Realize that no amount of thought will make it any shorter.” The minutes spent thinking about how, when, and why a task needs to be completed, can end up taking more time than just doing the task at hand. Along with the useful tips that Bates advises, depending on who you ask, they could have other tips and tricks on how to move your way towards being less stressed.

Ayers also says, “I try to limit the time I go on my phone at all during a work session, and reward myself afterwards by relaxing with an episode of Friends and a smoothie!” Teens especially have been shown to spend abnormally long lengths of time on their phones each day, and typically they do it without realization. Limiting the time you spend on your phone can give you more time to accomplish tasks during the day, help you focus better, and even help you get better sleep, which is vital to teenagers. A stable lifestyle can help enforce a positive mindset, which then results in an overall change in the way you run your day.

Time management will always be a relevant issue within our students’ lives, but we can reduce the amount of stress that is induced. Making sure to be aware that there are hundreds of different schedules being followed everyday can help to shape the way we organize our hours. Knowing how to manage time in a wiser manner is the next step to making a change, allowing us to work harder, and make our way to being stress free.

• Student Tips for a Happier, and Stress-Free School Year

Local News

State of Virginia Scales Back SOLs for Juniors and Seniors, Changes Requirements

Local News

2020 Presidential Election Kicks Off

Local News

Students Take Part in the Ongoing Fight for Women’s Rights

Local News

6-1 Vote Concludes Debate Over Preservation of African American Grave Sites

News

Northam Faces Fire for Racist Yearbook Photos

Local News

New Nicotine Regulations On the Way in Virginia

Student News

Woodgrove’s Top 5%

Editorials

George W. Bush Should Be Known More Than Just In Politics

Local News

Online Shopping: The Downfall of Department Stores

Student News

Flu Epidemic Spreads Nationwide

The School News Site of Woodgrove High School