The Woodgrove Outlander

Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago

Back to Article
Back to Article

Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago

Bottom left (clockwise): Katerina Niemann, Georgia Orfanides, Emily Reeps, Jenna Kennedy, Everly Soyka, and Julia Condie in their rendition of the “Cell Block Tango.”

Photo by Rebecca Faletti

Photo by Rebecca Faletti

Photo by Rebecca Faletti

Written by Dominique Cruz, Hope Davison, and Rebecca Faletti

A Broadway classic graces the stage at Woodgrove this spring as the drama program finishes the year with a production of Fred Ebb and Bob Fosse’s Chicago.

The musical follows two female leads, Velma and Roxie, played by juniors Julia Condie and Colleen Clark. As both of the women end up in prison, Chicago’s top lawyer, Billy Flynn, played by senior Lukas D’Errico, takes on both of their cases. The cases turn into a media circus, as both women fight against each other for fame.

The musical Chicago features various choreography and jazzy, upbeat music throughout the show. D’Errico says, “Chicago has a very unique style of dance, it also has two strong female leads, and it is very ensemble heavy.”

The show relies heavily on its ensemble cast, drawing on actors and actresses of all grade levels to pull off.

As with all of Woodgrove’s productions, in order to create Chicago, students work closely with each other and with faculty to make the magic happen. Students rely on each other for costuming, set design, and lighting and sound.

Preparation for the show was nothing if not intense. A student-led production means collaboration, and a reliance on the skills the department has taught them. “The most rewarding part of participating in the show is seeing all of the growth as rehearsals move along. I choreographed a lot of numbers and took the lead on a lot of costuming,” says Condie.

“I have enjoyed the process of getting the show together the most. I’ve made some epic friends and got to see what happens behind the scenes with Woodgrove theatre shows,” says freshman Caroline Jacobson, who plans to continue her work with the drama department.

The show will truly be culmination of the drama department’s work this year, as it gathers critical attention. “Chicago is our Cappies show, which means that it gets judged by critics and considered for possible nominations, kind of like a high school version of the Tony awards,” Condie says.

The cast, led by several seniors, hopes to finish its high school career with a bang. D’Errico says, “{Woodgrove theatre} has done me wonders. I have made amazing friends and had some amazing experiences, and I have grown in so many ways that I never thought I would.”

• Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago

Student News

Woodgrove Bids Farewell to Theatre Director Mr. David Noland

• Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago

News

College Cheating Scandal Provokes National Concern

• Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago

News

Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones Take the Spotlight of the 2019 NFL Draft’s First Round

• Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago

News

Operation Varsity Blues Centers on College Pay Offs for Admission

• Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago

News

E-Hall Pass Continues Next School Year

• Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago

Student News

Hernandez and Stevens Win Woodgrove Idol

• Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago

News

Chromebooks Continue to Enrich, Improve Woodgrove

• Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago

News

Rising Freshman Visit Woodgrove on Expo Day

• Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago

News

Seasonal Affective Disorder Taking a Toll on High School Students

• Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago

Local News

State of Virginia Scales Back SOLs for Juniors and Seniors, Changes Requirements

The School News Site of Woodgrove High School
Woodgrove Theatre Presents: Chicago